Blue Belt Promotion Requirements
1. What is our style of karate?Isshinryu
2. Where does Isshinryu come from.?Okinawa
3. What does Isshinryu mean?One Heart Way
4. What does Karate mean?Open or empty hand
5. What is our work out area called?Dojo
6. What do we call our black belt instructors?Sensei (which means teacher)
7. Know 5 Directions:Left = Hidari, Right = Migi, Forward = Mae, Backwards =
ushiro, Side = yoko
8. Who is the founder of Isshinryu Karate?Master Tatsuo Shimabuku, 10 Dan (10th
degree black belt)
9. Who is the current master of Isshinryu Karate?Master Kichiro Shimabuku,
Tatsuo's eldest son.
10. Count to 20 in Japanese.
11. What are the commands for coming to attention and bowing?ki ot skay and rei.
12. What are the 3 main areas of the body? jodan (upper), chudan (middle section),
gedan (lower section)
13. What are 3 kicking parts of the foot?koshi (ball), sokuto (blade edge), kakato
14. What are the parts of the karate gi?uwagi = jacket, obi = belt, shitogi = pants
15. Name the techniques that you do in Taikyoku.
16. Name and demonstrate the 3 basic stances (dachi):seisan-dachi, seiuchin-dachi, and nahanchie dachi
17. Name 3 basic techniques (wazas): geri waza (kicking), uke waza (blocking), te waza (hand)
18.Name and demonstrate at least 3 hand techniques: Examples - shuto (knife hand or chop), uraken (back
fist), nukite (spear thrust), tetsui (hammer fist), seiken (straight punch), shotei (palm heel)
19. Explain - What are Geri Waza’s = Kicking Techniques
20. Explain - What are Uke Waza’s = Blocking Techniques
21. Explain - What are Te Waza’s = Hand Techniques
22. Explanation of the Isshinryu patch.
23. Founder of Isshinryu: Tatsuo Shimabuku. Studied Shorin-ryu and Goju-ryu and based. Isshinryu is based on these 2 styles.
DemonstrateMae Keage Geri , Ushiro Geri, Yoko Kekomi Geri, Mae Mawashi Geri
Break away from a wrist grab
Demonstrate Bear Hug Break
Break away from a choke.
Break away from headlock
1. Kata:Taikyoku I, II, III, Seisan, Seiuchin Improved form & power in all kata’s.
To be determined by Sensei Children do not break Concrete or Haydite.